The world of interior designing is highly unstable as new trends are constantly introduced and adopted by people all over the world. There are several types of wall features, upholstery patterns, seating arrangements as well as flooring options to choose from for your home to make it look stunning. All you have to do is make sure that the overall look is in harmony and the different elements do not look incongruent when viewed as a whole.
Recently, laminate floor options have become popular globally. These are also preferred by DIY interior designing enthusiasts as well as by the professionals. This is because these types of floors are extremely easy to work with and can be installed easily as well. Before delving into some of the major benefits of laminate flooring, let’s look at what exactly it is and how to pick the right type.
What Are Laminate Floors?
These are made from several layers of synthetic products such as plastic or engineered wood which are placed on top of each other in layers. The layers are attached to each other by the process of “lamination” and this is how these floors get the name. These floors are specifically designed to be aesthetic and affordable at the same time and offer several options to choose from. There are four distinct layers of a laminated floor:
- The bottom-most layer is called the backer layer and it provides support and stability to the entire structure.
- Above this is core layer which gives the laminate structure and makes it dent-resistant.
- On top of core layer is the décor layer that creates the look of tile, stone, or wood. A printed image does this.
- Lastly, the top-most wear layer keeps the floor resistant to scratches and protects it from stains, making it easy to clean. This layer contains aluminium oxide.
How to Choose the Right Type of Laminate Flooring?
- Just like any other interior designing project, an important thing that you need to decide upon is the budget. This will help you determine the type of laminate floor, quality, and other related aspects. Things like how long you expect the flooring to last and how much area it is supposed to cover can be considered when settling a budget.
- Most laminate floors are easy to install and can also be done without professional help. If you plan to install the floor yourself, make sure that you mention this to the dealer. There are several types of laminate floors that can be installed easily due to their durable interlocking system. These are also more durable.
- Lastly, the look of the floor design must go well with the rest of the interior décor. For instance, a natural wood pattern will go perfectly if the overall theme of the room includes natural elements. On the other hand, the same floor will look out of place if the room is filled with elegant and minimalistic décor.
Benefits of Using Laminate Flooring
The main reason why people are using laminate floors popularly is because they are extremely durable and come in a variety of price ranges to choose from. Installing them is an easy feat and the overall look is parallel to none.
An important thing to consider when deciding flooring types is its cleaning and maintenance requirements. You can maximize the returns on your laminate floor investment by making sure that it stays new and damage-free even after several years of use. Firstly, make sure that the cleaning solution you use is specifically for laminate floors. Secondly, it is recommended that you don’t slide heavy furniture on the surface of the floor as this can cause scratches or cracks. Carpets or rugs can be used wherever possible to keep the surface protected.