One of the most popular decorative items for the home and office buildings is the ‘window blinds’. There are some varieties of window blinds to suit the customer’s taste. To just give a heads up about this window blind, here is the list of different varieties available.
- Slat blinds
- Mini blinds
- Venetian blinds
- Vertical blinds
To my knowledge, they say that it is very important to regularly clean them and there are strict dos and don’ts to be followed while cleaning them. Few methods of cleaning are applicable to all blinds irrespective of their type. Yet, it is necessary to clean them based on the way it has been built. First, let us see some basic cleaning techniques for any type of window blind.
- Make use of a duster, or a soft material cloth for dusting the blind regularly. Before dusting, ensure that the window blinds are extended fully and all the slats are wide opened. First dust the slates in the same direction as they face, then repeat the same in opposite direction as well.
- When you want to dust a little harder then you can use the vacuum cleaner with an attached soft brush in the front and show it the blinds in the same direction as they face. Suction settings should be kept at the lowest blowing speed level.
- There are also some specially designed dusting tools available in the market, like in home-based hardware stores.
- At least once or twice a year, you need to make sure that you perfectly clean them. For this you need to take a cloth and dip in water+ vinegar mixture. Use it to remove the heavier dirt by wiping on all the slates.
The advantages of using vinegar to clean the blinds:
Vinegar is one of the cheapest materials that can be used for cleaning purposes. It helps in making the dust get released into the air rather than just sticking to the cloth, socks or the gloves that were been used. It is definitely a better choice to be used on any material or surface when compared to some bad chemical solutions.
Some tips and precautions to be considered before cleaning
When cleaning wooden blinds, never use water and make it wet, just regularly damp it. Also look into the guiding manual and check for any special instructions are mentioned in it. Ensure that you take care of your eyes and skin and cover them all while dusting and you need to make sure that you keep all your cleaning materials like vinegar, away from children. It will also be good if you can use a fabric softening sheets after the cleaning the slates. This prevents dust getting deposited and also you will get a nice aroma in the room/home.
Fastest as well as a very effective method to clean the window blinds.
Thing needed to start this faster cleaning method are:
- A pair of tongs,
- A pair of microfiber dust cloths and
- Four rubber bands.
Cover the dust cloth around the tongs and tighten them using two rubber bands. You need to make sure that the soft side of the cloth is not used for cleaning; the rough side at the back will give better results in dusting. Now you will see the magic in a second! Just clasp the tongs on each of the slate separately and move from left to right or vice versa and you will see that all the dust is gone. This is the best way you could do blind cleaning ever. You can also use some of your favorite cleaning solution on the dry cloth and get them do a better cleaning job. You can change the clothes during your next cleaning and wash the tongs along with the kitchen utensils and save it for next time. This method saves a lot of time and makes the cleaning a lot easier.